Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On my only happy long term relationship

Colin said in class something to the effect of people falling basically into one of two categories in regards to information: there are information addicts, and information sharers. He then hinted at a shadier third category where he said he, Scott, and "maybe Caitlin" (me!) fit; according to Colin's characterization, the three of us (or at least he and Scott...andmaybeme!) use information in order to express self. I'm going to step over onto the other side of the line Colin drew and remove the "maybe" from my distinction tp assert that this is a pretty decent estimation of me and my relationship with information.

I've always esteemed knowledge as the most valuable commodity (if I can even fairly call it a commodity. For sake of ease, just let me). For me, the most powerful people are those who possess not money, not fame, not beauty, but information--those that process it well, those that use it--the "smartest." I suppose this opinion took root at a very early age. Consider: the strongest impression I have of my father is an image of him pausing with head cocked, raising his right hand slightly and making a single, controlled conductors motion, asking, "Hey Cato, did you know..." "I learned something really cool today," or "Here's somethin' neat I learned," or "Want to know something kind of cool?" (I usually stay silent and glower at him not because I don't want to know, but because I do, and I'm jealous that he probably knows something I don't. He says "Fine. I won't tell you." and we continue eating, or reading, or whatever, untl he finally tells me. (There you go, Dad--there's the playbook!)). Always a voracious reader, an audiobook fan(atic), a watcher of all "bug-mating-shows" on the Discovery Channel and The History Channel, my dad is ever learning a new tidbit, always wanting to tell it to me or my mother. WhenI was little I think I formed the impression that THIS--THIS curiosity, this knowledge, was what made my dad special. It made him smart. I learned to value that and probably unconsciously decided to create myself in the same image.

The kind of information I collect is specialized. I like random factoids, but what I like more is unraveling strands of information that pertain to my particular interests and then sharing those, sometimes with a purpose--a little like "Hey! Look what I know that pertains to what we're talking about, but is slightly left of center. See if you can figure out what this says about our topic, and about me and the way I process the world (internal monologue addendum "not that you give a shit, but if you do, that'd be cool!"). I like information, and I like to be able to share information that is a reflection of who I am. I suppose the kind of information one chooses to give precedence in his or her education and to which one pays most attention is as much an expression of self and a revelatory act as is the music she chooses, the clothes she wears, the homies with whom she rolls (snicker), and the career she pursues. Yes?

Power, for me, is intelligence, and intelligence means possessing and being capable of using and expressing information. There's probably more I could say, but as I told Spazeboy earlier, for days my thesis has been whipping my ass--not in a fun and games, "I-know-the-safety-word-and-will-honor-it" kind of way, either. For the time being at least I've appeased that cruel mistress and she's retreated for some rest into the recesses of my flash drive. So now, after having handed in damn near 30 pages of what I hope is coherent writing I can use in a final product, I'm going to toddle off for some much, much, much needed sleep. I'm growing jealous of even the city-hardened, malnourished Hartford squirrels' level of bright eyed and bushy tailedness.

3 comments:

littleaboutlittle said...

As a father of a daughter, and two sons, I must say your entry touched me. I hope your Dad gets to read it. We so infrequently tell the people we love how much they mean to us. It is probably one of the greatest gifts you can give to him – the expression that you love, listen, and learn from him; a person whose love you probably can’t quite fathom, but, hopefully, will someday have the opportunity to experience as a parent. Also, he sounds like a great guy. There nothing like an evening in the easy chair watching bugs mate on Discovery. I bet he’s also a sucker for dinosaur shows.

slothsinabox said...

Thanks for your comment, Jim. I dunno what else to say, but thanks.


And yeah. He's a total sucker for dinosaur shows.

(Dad: you can post a comment to this--come on. I know you want to).

chikn 'n cheez said...

All right, Pinky, here’s my response:

I am Gollum grubbing alone in the cold, dark pool at the root of the mountain for the shiny, sweet, crunchy things I vaguely remember as “fish”. Occasionally- not nearly often enough- a cool, muscled smoothness brushes my attenuated fingers and I’m just quick (or lucky) enough to grab it. It is blind and mindless, beneath the notice of the beautiful, terrible and powerful. But it is mine. It is life. I don’t share.

Here beneath the vast, dark weight of the mountain there are no days, no nights, no time; just drips and echoes; cold and tasty, sightless fish; no one and nothing with which to share, even were I so inclined.

And then you are there. Lost. Confused. Frightened. Blind and disoriented in the stygian dark. And you frighten me and I don’t know what to do about/with you. You are alive but not cold and slippery nor wasted and ragged. You demand an accounting, reassurance, sustenance…love. You have the light that scalds my gloom-adapted eyes and you are hungry.

I know the hunger. It has become me over time. But all I have are blind fish, stiff and pitiful. Will I share? Will you?


Dad’s little factoids are all he has to share under the weight of the mountain and he’s so pleased you receive them with such grace. You are my Precioussssss!