Sunday, September 24, 2006

Kvetching and Kos

It's happened again.

Another academic year's freshly begun and who, pray tell, be the maid sporting dusky blue undereye circles who is so particularly fond of occupying the mirror beside my bed? She's growing a really charming specimen of a unibrow, which may indicate either a) she's going for the natural woman look, or b) there simply hasn't been time to tweeze. Her hair is disheveled and her look is wan, disheartened yet strangely resigned. Her skin's been better, but also been worse--thank God its complexion is nowhere approaching that fateful week in high school when her face erupted into a Balkan terrain of angry hormonal disuptes in the form of disgruntled whiteheads. No. Not so mountainous yet. Good. She's still recognizable, even.

Oh, hey! It's me! Gorgeous.

As usual I've overbooked myself. With three classes that require a fair amount of sustained independent reading and writing, not to mention my thesis (on which I am so utterly behind and underprepared it makes me quite sick, so I'll spare you that particular subject of bellyachery), Writing Center commitments, delightful RA crap, and trying to put finishing touches on the fellowship application, I'm running on E and it's only September 26th. YES. It's almost like when I was rowing. Minus the spandex, blisters, and three-hour practices, of course.

At this point, I'm well on my way to growing up to be just like the modern noble savages depicted by this. Hell. At least someone appreciates.

On to pertinent issues!

Tonight I cruised DailyKos. This blog superstructure is a combination of two things that terrify me: one, a vast amount of information and melange of confusing and competing links that I cannot possibly imagine being able to surf, ever, and the second being politics. Nontheless, here: I tried.

In and of itself, DailyKos has a lot of fascinating things to read. I myself was particularly interested in Miss Laura's brief rant on intergenerational feministic sparring and after I tutor tonight, I hope to be able to post a little more (this may or may not happen this evening) on that topic. But, anyway, DailyKos--a community space for the politically inclined to come together, post, share ideas and opinions about myriad different subjects. The blog is supported by advertising, which I found a little distracting, but there's so much truly good, meaty information and good reading there that I can dismiss it, and Kos is firmly opposed to ubiquitous linking (good on him--non-organic SEOing and trading links on a "I'll scracth your back if you scratch mine" basis isn't good for ANYONE'S integrity). Search function = convenient. Also: I think I must be extraordinarily dumb here, but if this site is largely based upon its users contribution, where is Kos' voice?

Now that I've cruised around the site some, though, I no longer find it so daunting. Score!

Okay. Time 4 me 2 go tutor kidz riting. Until later! (or tomorrow...when I'm not desperately sleepy, I hope).

1 comment:

Printer's Devil said...

this was a great post.
i love your stuff about kos.