Friday, September 22, 2006

Meeeeeeeme Theory

After having perused Wikipedia's extensive (extensive. No, really. EXTENSIVE) definition of Memes and all related components, I'm quite surprised at a) the concept and b) the sad fact that previously I'd had no idea that there was a term or a theory for the dissemination of ideas and popularization of sociocultural phenomena. To think of ideas in terms of natural selection, (poor ideas with poor outcomes associated with poor genetic outcomes such as, say, one-footed ostriches with six eyes and no wings), and to imagine subpar ideas to be naturally selected OUT of cultural circulation is a totally new concept for me, though I suppose I understood implicitly that this is indeed what happens (duh, Caitlin. Nice work).

From a literary/lexicographic standpoint I find the artificial engineering of Memes an absolutely fascinating concept. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the goal, but after having read some of the top links (including "Banana Repbulicans") it seems that at least part of what people are advocating for here is creation of endless neologisms dispersed with the intention of popularizing them. Cool! What this dude is doing with his Memetank strikes me as something akin to what Samuel Johnson undertook in 1755 when he literally defined the English language (for his own sake, I do hope that the engineer of Memetank knows more about hygiene and is considerably less scrofulous than the poor late Mr. Johnson). Meme theory and what this man is affecting to achieve is a new frontier in language--but not necessarily a good idea. I'm not sure I want "Banana Republican" in my dictionary.

From Wikipedia:
Memetics though excels in explaining the spread of certain value judgements ("chastity is important"), preferences ("pork is repulsive"), superstitions ("black cats bring bad luck") and other scientifically unverifiable beliefs ("'X' is the one true God"), since one cannot easily account for any of these phenomena in terms of their truth-value. Calling someone's ideas/beliefs/action a "meme", therefore, does not constitute an insult, but saying that it is "just a meme" does.

I now have a new subtle insult to employ. Yes.

Also: Anybody amazingly adept at filling out bureaucratic, BS paperwork? Yes? Good! Want to do mine for me? Please apply within.

3 comments:

Printer's Devil said...

So, now, take a look at DailyKos with new eyes. If you read some of the background stuff, yhou'll see they started, anyway, as kind of an intentinal meme-producing community. How's that working out?

Printer's Devil said...

sorry about all those typos.
it's sunday morning. and i'm getting all jacked up about this material

slothsinabox said...

Thanks, Prof. MacEnroe! I looked at DailyKos tonight, but my eyes are far from fresh. In fact they need a rest; I intend upon doing some Meme detecting next post around, though.

And don't worry about the typos. Psh. It's the internet. :)