Monday, September 25, 2006

Now THIS is nonsense

I sat there during my second three-hour-class of the day and stared.

"We" was the first word. I looked around at my classmates. We, I thought. Okay.
"We are." Deeply philosophical? Why not? We're thinking. We are. Deep. Let's go have a drum circle on the quad and smoke a hookah.
"We are outside!!" the statement was completed by the noun: outside.

That's what the chalkboard said. Due to the headachy, painfully alert but fuzzily absent stupor of the caffeine-addict caffeine deprived, this statement nattered at me. I gawped at all through class, irritable. We are not, I thought crossly, outside.

Messages read by an audience unintended to ever have seen them, processed by people who are unequipped with the ambient information that suffices to flesh out an idea of what the messages truly mean, why they are pertinent, why there are TWO! not ONE! exclamation points--they've always fascinated me. Who is outside? I don't know. But apparently we are, and I'm not a part of the collective "we." Things unseen, audiences unintended, are endlessly compelling--maybe it's why I like blogs so well--they provide the possibility for mysteries to be unraveled and conjectures to be made to supplement the sad lack of information with which we're often confronted.

That wasn't all the chalkboard said, though.
"We are outside!" was the top line. Appended to the note, boxed out to lend subtle focus, was written, "Come join us!" So class let out, outside, and I did. I was, however, no more a part of the invisible, unidentified "we" than I was during class time, when I was decidedly not outside. So how do I get on the inside of the outside? I think I don't.

Interesting, maybe. Real post next.

No comments: